Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Green Book

After reading the Green Book I must say that some these steps are simple, but nevertheless incredibly hard to commit to. It is so convenient and comfortable to simply leave the water running while brushing our teeth that most of us would not close it even considering its simplicity. Thus, I think part of the problem is that parents are not raising their kids appropriately. We need to start instilling good habits in the youth, especially here in the United Sates, where resources are so readily available. For instance, I see the carelessness that my brother has for everything that surrounds him. In part I blame my parents for the situation. But I also think that because my older sister and I grew up in a different country where water and electricity are not taken for granted; we have a different outlook on wastefulness.

While reading the foreword of The Green Book, I almost immediately related to William McDonough. He mentioned how during his childhood in Hong Kong his family only got water access every four days. The same was the case for me while growing up in the Dominican Republic. Not only did we not get water all the time but we did not have electricity all the time. As was also true for McDonough we had to learn how to save water and in my case how to not rely so heavily on electricity.

But, my brother did not grow up in the Dominican Republic and did not experience bathing with a bucket of water; he does not know what 8 hours of electricity a day feels like. In fact I don’t even think he can envision being away from his computer for eight hours. Here is the problem with America. Because in the United States you can get things relatively easy, Americans fail to see that they get all these privileges at the expense of other countries.

Anyhow, here are my steps in order of difficulty:

Closing the faucet while brushing my teeth: I think this is something I can do relatively easily since I did it very much while growing up in the Dominican Republic.
Using high Speed Internet: This is also an easy thing to do. But does anybody actually still use dial-up?

Closing faucet while shaving: Well this one is a little trickier because it is just way to comfortable to leave it running. I know this might seem particularly odd since I do it while brushing my teeth. I do not know why it is so difficult for me to even remember to close the faucet while shaving.

Reusing plastic bags: This could vary in difficulty depending on the circumstances. I find it very hard to actually carry used bags for the supermarket or for shopping for anything else. However, in my house we do save bags and reuse them for garbage as well as other things.

Using porcelain or glass containers: I simply cannot imagine a world without plastic. For example, it would be very difficult to carry around your lunch in a heavy glass or porcelain container. But, I think the real problem is not that we are using plastic, but that we are not recycling it. Whenever I order food I save the plastic containers and use them to store food in the fridge.

Not Flushing the toilet as much: This I find incredibly hard to do and impractical. It is not particularly pleasant to leave the toilet unflushed. Additionally, I do not see how we can control going to the bathroom. Should we take Pepto-Bismol and limit the amount of liquids we intake? I do not think that is the answer. Maybe this is something we cannot do much about.

Blue ray discs: Well, yes this is easy to do. However, not everyone can afford to buy blue rays. If the prices of these discs were to go down then it would be a possibility.

I want to publicly commit to close the faucet while shaving and to reuse plastic bags. I will also try as much as possible to refuse bags when buying at the grocery store or deli.

8 comments:

Jocelyn Perez said...

Wow!i went through nine blogs before finding someone who I could comment on.
You know, I agree that parents are partly to blame for the carelessness of today's youth.
Most immigrants did not have the luxury of running water or electricity in their homelands, and now that it is readily available here, they cease to instill the values of conservation in their children.

I also identify with your experience in D.R., although I only went to visit family. I recall limited water supplies and the need to be conscious of how you used what little water there was.

Finally, although it may seem impossible, toilet technology is evolving. In Japan there is a toilet that has NO water. It resembles the unit found on airplanes, and stresses their ideas of conserving water.

There is also the composting toilet too, which is actually here in the U.S. Add a handfull of woodshavings every time, and the bottom can be removed after a certain amount of time. The waste is converted into soil and can be used as fertilizer of potting soil.

Jocelyn =)

Then again,(like my bro just said) you could always pee in the shower. lmao

Anonymous said...

I strongly agree that we have no control over the amount of time we go to the bathroom and use the toilet. I would never not flush, it's just not a good thing.

I'm thinking that the new toilets that are out there might be good for a new home or building being built, but not so much for an old dwelling. Plus, it must cost an arm and a leg to install.

Debbie said...

fidel

i believe since a lot of people are accustomed to letting the water run while brushing their teeth, and shaving it will be difficult to change.also Yes!! if these things are instilled in us as children it would be easier. however, since we are in a crisis I think it would be best to try i am including myself in this task. as far as flushing is concerned I agree with you, I will not flush less either in fact I flush even more now. as far as plastic bags are concerned perhaps they need to stoop the distribution of them and make reuseable bags only. even though I am guilty of using them for garbage but what do i do woth the garbage after I through it in the recepticle. What's the point??? and the commitment will not be as easy as you think I tried....
old habits are "Hard" to break....

Doctor X said...

this is when we know we are friends; when we start talking about peeing in the shower...

rlouisaire said...

lol if i carried are a glass container garentee you it will be broken by mid afternoon.

Doctor X said...

You shouldn't be so scared of glass. Some kinds are really resistant (you know, the kind that the unbreakable plates are made of)

Fletcher said...

The shaving thing.

Took me forever to figure this out. Which is sort of ironic, because running faucets are a relatively new idea, in the scheme of things.

Go old-school. Fill about an inch of water in the sink (not much, but enough to submerge the blade) and use that. Between shavings, just thrash that bastard in the water until it's clear for the next stroke.

I don't know why this didn't occur to me years ago.

That or, y'know, grow a beard...

Erlisa said...

I agree with what you said about some things being convenient it's hard to change our habits. It's convenient to leave all plugs plugged, I don't think anyone wants to deal with plugging and unplugging.

The funny thing is, whatever's good for you is bad for the environment. Whatever tastes good is bad for your health. It's as if we're not supposed to have the good things in life without having a negative side to it.


There's a lot of things in the book we can get accustomed to, but it's not going to happen overnight.

Great blog. =)