Saturday, April 12, 2008

Reflection

Before taking the LIB 200 course I was oblivious to the environment to say the least. Yes, I did hear all the time that Global Warming was affecting us and that soon the world would end. Nevertheless, these claims just seemed like exaggerated presumptions. I often regarded such assertions as mere conspiracy theories.

Nevertheless, we live in a world that entirely consumes and suppresses our feelings and ability to reason. Why would I think about the environment if I am struggling just to live my daily life? The increasing complexity and time consuming nature of our society has stripped us from the ability to take care of an essential part of our existence; our collective home that is.

On this, I would have to agree with Al Gore. We are completely disconnected from the environment. In fact, many of us even hate interacting with it. “Why would I wanna go out and hang out, when I could just talk to my friends through myspace”? asserted my brother. How about a nice park? I said. To which he replied:

“for what, to sit on the grass and get itchy.”

It seems to me that we are trapped in the world of “manufactured information” as Gore says. We are failing to see that we engaging in patterns of self-destruction. Just today I read an article in the New York Times, that talks about an American Government high school book that downplays the relationship between green house gasses and global warming. The books claims that there is little evidence linking global warming to green house gasses. The authors go on to say that though coastal areas will suffer because of a sea-level rise, the world will also benefit from a warmer temperature because of better production rates of crops.

Note that this is an American Government textbook.

Is there then a political Agenda for ignoring Global Warming? Perhaps there is, but I would even say that it is more than simply a political agenda. It is a mechanism of maintaining the status quo. Gore says that we were able to overcome segregation and discrimination after the civil rights movement, but is this really the case?

Why is there still a correlation between being a minority and having a low level of education? Why are minority communities subject to the highest levels of pollution? Why are illnesses connected to pollution, ever-present among minority communities?

Simple: we are still dealing with the same problems we were 50 years ago.

The history of humanity has unfortunately been one where the few who hold power and wealth do whatever it takes to maintain their status. We have never been moral beings concerned about others and the environment. Here I fundamentally disagree with Al Gore.

The solution to the problem is not to reestablish a sense of morality that we once had. I contend that has never been the case. We have essentially always generally been egocentric beings. I propose a more practical solution:

pragmatism.

We need to realize that we are facing a fast developing problem. We need practical solutions that will generate fast results. Otherwise we will cease to exist. And though, Gore’s solution is noble, taking that route would simply take to long if not an eternity.

But going back to the issue of race and the environment, as minorities we have to quickly seek to resolve the problems. The fact is, minorities are the ones experiencing the effects of pollution first hand. Do you think George Bush thinks about Global Warming while smoking his Cuban cigars (isn’t this ironic) in his multi-million dollar estate?

That is why I agree with Terry Cole when he says that we have duty to fulfill with the environment; an obligation.

So, have I learned anything from this class?

I must say I have. I try to be as aware as possible. I evaluate my actions and try to maintain a purpose to my daily life. It’s been a shock. I remember watching the An Inconvenient Truth film. I realized the seriousness of this problem at that point. My brain is now filled with incessant worries and I still don’t know whether we will make it or not.

But it truly is hard, to completely change your lifestyle, the lifestyle that has been inculcated in you since childhood. I find myself struggling with this. Yet, as I browsed through other people’s blogs I realized that others are struggling with the same thing.

I hope the knowledge I have gained in this class will take me in a long journey, a journey of survival.

6 comments:

Fletcher said...

That was an incredibly well written piece there, sir. It looks like you might already have a jump on the research paper as well...

That stuff about the textbook is horrifying. Truly horrifying.

(Oh, and my wife, aa photographer, complimented the picture you included. Nice shot.)

christina said...

i think when we all hear about global warming we dont think much about it but when we saw the effects from Mr. Gore himself that was a true wake up call........

*Ms. Nisha* said...

I must say that I do agree that prviously when I heard the term global warming I didn't really take it serious. Now that I've taken this course I am much more aware of what that's all about. It is sad that too many of us choose technology over nature (your brothernot wanting to go to the park, instead settling for myspace).

Melissa_J said...

I have to admit that before this class hearing the term Global Warming, didn't really make me thikn much. But now this class along with the documentary, "An Inconvenient Truth" has helped me be much more aware of how we are connected to our environment. I enjoyed reading your blog, it was perfectly written.

Doctor X said...

A-MAZING PHOTO!

And, I gotta tell you, maybe Gore is nostalgic for simpler times, but one of the many things I did get out of the presentations is that there is a substantial amount of spiritual/philosophy leaders that believe we must be in harmony with nature--so humanity can understand. It's just we have allowed the bad guys titillate us with shiny trinkets (I know, another bad metaphor, but it kinda works).

Debbie said...

this blog is the best. Al Gore has a point there however how many of us in the world are really listening or even paying attention to what's happening right in front of our eyes. it is scary!!! Yet very few are convinced that we are doomed. thanks for the reminder.